Roller Compacted Concrete - CEMEX USA
RCC installs faster, costs less and is more durable than other pavements materials.
Roller-compacted concrete (RCC) helps your paving budget go the extra mile by delivering the high strength and long-term durability of concrete with the low cost and fast installation of conventional pavement materials.
Install it today. Drive on it tomorrow.
RCC was developed in the 1970s as an affordable pavement solution that would stand up to high volumes of heavy loads while resisting freeze-thaw damage.
Because it's a drier mix than traditional concrete, RCC is quickly installed with high-density asphalt paving equipment and compacted using vibratory rollers - without forms, rebar or extensive finishing. You simply mix it, place it, compact it and cure it.
RCC minimizes construction costs, and keeps traffic flowing, typically within 24 hours.
High performance. Without high costs.
While RCC's installation costs are comparable and frequently lower than asphalt pavements, its long-term maintenance costs are far lower, giving it an average of 30% savings over the life of a road.
The superior strength and durability inherent in RCC infuse it with high-performance properties that eliminate common problems that drive up the long-term costs of maintaining streets built with other pavement materials.
With RCC, potholes and street rutting are history. Surface cracking due to heavy loads becomes nonexistent. Fuel and hydraulic fluid spills no longer deteriorate your pavement. And high temperatures won't soften your streets.
Lower lifecycle costs and proven performance make RCC your smartest choice
|RCC Attributes||RCC Benefits|
|High flexural strength
(550 - 800 psi)
|High compressive strength
(4,000 - 6,000 psi)
|High density / low absorption||
|Low water content||
|High solar reflectivity||
|No rebar or dowels||
|No forms or finishing||
CEMEX provides additional support services related to construction of your RCC roadways.
- Provide RCC training for your design & construction inspection teams
- Develop or review your pavement design to ensure it has been optimized for performance, construction expediency and cost efficiency
- Develop construction specifications tailored to your project
- Provide Engineering cost estimate
- Provide list of qualified contractors
RCC has been used successfully on many different applications around the United States for over 30 years.
- Local roads and residential streets
- Bus lanes
- Interstate shoulders
- Military installations
- Multi-modal yards
- Distribution centers
The basic ingredients of RCC are the same as for conventional concrete: sand, aggregates, cement, and water, however the quantities are different. Mix designs may vary based on the job application. RCC is a zero slump concrete mix that is placed using high-density asphalt pavers and compacted with 10 ton rollers similar to the way hot mix asphalt is placed.
- Local streets and roads
- Residential streets
- Highway shoulders
- Port facilities
- Intermodal yards
- Parking lots
Product Technical Information
- Mix designs typically achieve greater than 4000 psi at 28 days
- Recommended to use either Portland Cement Association specification or locally available specification provided by DOT
- Specifications can also be specially developed for your application
- Lower installation and maintenance costs than asphalt
- Fastest speed of construction due to paving in lifts up to 9 inches thick
- Open to light traffic within hours
- Open to heavy traffic within 1 to 2 days
- Supports sustainable development
Since each project requires a mix design developed using locally available aggregates, CEMEX can work with you to develop the appropriate mix design for the application.