About Us Header
About Us

Our History

Founded in Mexico in 1906, we have grown from a small regional cement firm into a top global building solution company.


Timeline of CEMEX USA History

1906

CEMEX is founded in 1906 with the opening of the Cementos Hidalgo plant in northern Mexico.

1948

CEMEX’s annual production capacity reaches 124,000 tons, a nearly fourfold increase from 1906.

1976

CEMEX lists on the Mexican stock exchange and becomes Mexico’s market leader with the acquisition of Cementos Guadalajara.

1985

For the first time, CEMEX’s annual sales exceed 6.7 million tons of cement and clinker, and the annual sales of three cement plants–Monterrey, Guadalajara and Torréon–each surpass 1 million tons.

1986

Through co-investments with North American cement companies, CEMEX consolidates its export program.

1994

CEMEX expands its operations by acquiring Balcones, a cement plant in the USA.

1994

CEMEX launches its alternative fuels strategy and begins converting its plants to enable them to use petroleum coke.

1994

CEMEX formally establishes its ecoefficiency program, the cornerstone of its sustainable development strategy.

1999

CEMEX lists on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol “CX”.

2000

CEMEX becomes North Americas largest cement producer with the acquisition of the US-based Southdown.

2000

The company launches its CEMEX Way initiative to identify, incorporate and execute standardized best practices throughout the organization.

2000

Standard & Poor’s upgrades CEMEX’s credit rating to investment grade.

2005

CEMEX doubles its size with the acquisition of RMC, adding 20 mainly European markets.

2007

CEMEX initiates the integration of Rinker.